April 28, 2010
Slonimsky’s Earbox – one keyboard musician – SAMPLER
1.) Kurzweil sampler version:
- 1 x Kurzweil K2000, K2500, K2600, K2661 (with minimum 4Mb RAM)
- 1 x stereo keyboard combination amplifier (Roland KC-550 recommended)
- 1 x single-tier keyboard stand
- 1 x audio volume pedal (Ernie Ball 6165 recommended)
- 1 x sustain pedal (for Kurzweil)
- Also needed: audio cables and AC power cables to connect everything
2.) Native Instruments Kontakt software sampler:
Please contact Boosey & Hawkes to obtain custom software
Kontakt MUST BE PURCHASED (approx $400 USD). Please visit http://www.native-instruments.com
Kontakt CANNOT be fully downloaded and purchased from the Native Instruments website, as most products now allow. It is NOT ready for immediate use. You must purchase the software, online or not, where the factory/distributor THEN ships you the software media (the sealed DVDs containing the serial numbers). The download version of Kontakt is the demo version which will only run for minutes, then quit. If you choose this method for performance please leave enough time to obtain the software via standard/express shipping methods.
If you use alternative software samplers, there are programs available to convert our Kontakt Multi/Instruments into one of several destination formats. One such program is CDXtract (http://www.cdxtract.com/) – available for Mac/PC, and for purchase –> approx $140 USD. Please note, there is no guarantee any translation program will convert perfectly. Possible issues experienced could be problems in loop times/directions, sample truncation, audio routing, etc… So, explore this option at your own risk.
Kontakt Equipment List:
We highly recommend obtaining a “sampler technician” for your production. This person can help setup and troubleshoot the electronic instrument environment.
- Full running Mac/PC version of Kontakt
- High-performance Mac/PC computer with ample memory and hard disk space. Slower computer systems will increase the chance of unwanted latency.
- High-performance, multi-output, computer audio interface compatible with above computer system. Less quality interfaces will increase the chance of unwanted latency.
- High-performance, multi-port, MIDI interface compatible with above computer system. Less quality interfaces will increase the chance of unwanted latency.
- One 88-note master keyboard controller able to send program change and sustain pedal control on MIDI Channel 1.
- One single-tier keyboard stand to hold master controller.
- Keyboard combination amplifier – to amplify the Kontakt patches.
- One audio volume pedal (not CC pedal) to connect audio interface output to the keyboard combination amp.
- One sustain pedal to connect to the master controller.
- All cables (MIDI, audio, AC power) to connect and power the above equipment.
Note, all Slonimsky’s Earbox patches (and sustain pedal control) in Kontakt are assigned to MIDI Channel 1. Program your master controller appropriately.
General Sound Reinforcement Notes:
SAMPLER Musician should not be amplified through main loudspeaker system. The sampler sound is to be amplified through the above recommended keyboard combination amplifier and should seem “acoustic” within the context of the orchestra.
Technical issues please contact Mark Grey, Sound Designer for John Adams: firstname.lastname@example.org